Columbus, Ohio (February 8, 2024) – A stolen vehicle chase and subsequent officer-involved shooting unfolded in Columbus yesterday afternoon, leaving multiple people injured and prompting an investigation by the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI).
Here’s what we know:
- Stolen Vehicle Spotted: On Wednesday, February 7th, at approximately 3:23 PM, officers responded to a report of a stolen 2015 Toyota Camry spotted on East Dublin Granville Road.
- High-Speed Chase: The vehicle, confirmed to be stolen from Lancaster, Ohio, fled after officers attempted a traffic stop. Officers eventually disengaged from the pursuit for safety reasons.
- Parking Lot Rampage: Later, the vehicle was located at a Sheetz gas station, then proceeded to the Huntley Square shopping center where it drove erratically, striking a Columbus Police sergeant on the hood and prompting the officer to discharge their firearm.
- Collision and Injuries: The suspect continued driving with the sergeant on the hood before crashing into two oncoming vehicles head-on near the I-71 entrance ramp. Both the officer and the occupants of the struck vehicles sustained injuries.
- Apprehension and Investigation: The female driver was taken into custody and transported to the hospital in serious condition. The sergeant was also hospitalized but in stable condition. BCI is currently investigating the officer-involved shooting.