Home News Electrical problem blamed for overnight fire

Electrical problem blamed for overnight fire


Trish Bennett, Editor

Circleville firefighters respond to an overnight fire on Cedar Heights Road. (Photo courtesy of Mark Adkins)

CIRCLEVILLE – An electrical problem is being blamed for an overnight fire on Cedar Heights Road in the city.

The fire is believed to have started in the attic of the home at 384 Cedar Heights about 2:25 a.m. Monday, according to Captain Brad Rankin, Circleville Fire Department.

“We’re not sure how it started, but you could tell it was electrical because the beams were burnt through right where the wiring was resting on it,” Rankin said. “It also caught some insulation on fire.”

Rankin said the incident did not cause significant fire damage, but there was water damage to the ceiling as firefighters worked to make sure it was extinguished and stayed that way.

Rankin said two people were home at the time the incident occurred. A female watching TV heard a loud pop and reported all the lights went off in the house.

She then woke her husband, and they both evacuated the home and called 911.

Rankin said neighbors also heard a loud noise and were outside by the time firefighters arrived on the scene, but there is no indication that lightning contributed to the fire.

“We didn’t find any evidence that it was struck by lightning,” he said. “We checked, but there was no evidence of that.”

This article originally appeared on The Pickaway News Journal