Home News Water Bottles in the Summer Sun Can Start Fires

Water Bottles in the Summer Sun Can Start Fires


OHIO – A battery Technician from Idaho power was on lunch break when out of the corner of his eye he saw smoke and after inspection noticed that the light was refractioning through the water and creating a fire, much like a magnifying glass.

The video shows the evidence to how this could be a dangerous situation in really sunny situations.

Also bottles of water left in a car for an amount of time can also leak chemicals into the water. According to Dr. Lance Williams, Professor of Biology at the University of Texas at Tyler, there is a chance that trace amounts of BPA could seep into your water. A study at the University of Florida tested bottles of water left in 158 degrees Fahrenheit for several weeks. According to the study, one of the 20 bottles which were made from polyethylene terephthalate (PET) had a trace amount of antimony and bisphenol A, or BPA after being heated. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration considers small amounts of BPA safe, however high levels could possibly cause a health risk.