Home News Man Sentenced to Prison for Attempting to Drown a Scioto County Deputy

Man Sentenced to Prison for Attempting to Drown a Scioto County Deputy


A Franklin Furnace resident was given a 23-28.5 year prison sentence following a four-day jury trial in front of Judge Mark Kuhn of the Scioto County Court of Common Pleas concluding on February 23, 2024. 29-year-old Richard “Peck” Turner was originally indicted on counts of Attempted Aggravated Murder, Attempted Murder, Felonious Assault, and Breaking and Entering following events which occurred on August 21, 2023 at 161 Big Doney Road in the Franklin Furnace area in Scioto County.

Following approximately four hour of deliberations, the jury convicted Defendant Turner of Attempted Murder, a Felony 1 level charge, Felonious Assault (of a peace officer), also a Felony 1 level charge, and Breaking and Entering, a Felony 5 level charge. Judge Kuhn announced the Defendant’s punishment immediately following the trial, sentencing him to a maximum term of incarceration in the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Corrections of 23 years, plus an indefinite period of an additional 5.5 years. Ohio law allows for a sentence of 3-11 years for Felony 1 level charges and 6-12 months on Felony 5 charges.

On August 21, 2023, a 911 call alerted the Scioto County Sheriff’s Office that several ‘squatters’ had been illegally residing at 161 Big Doney Road and law enforcement assistance was requested. Deputies from the Scioto County Sheriff’s Office responded. The initial responding Deputy entered the residence, which had been essentially destroyed by the squatters, to find Defendant Turner passed out naked in a bedroom. After Turner was awakened by the Deputy, he put on only a pair of underwear and shoes, then fled from the scene. A lengthy chase ensued, in which the Deputy was eventually able to gain ground on Turner after which he deployed his taser to subdue the suspect. Defendant Turner then entered a shallow swamp-like water collection area, telling the Deputy that he could not taze him since he was in water. The Deputy abided by the policies and procedures of the Scioto County Sheriff’s Office and did not utilize his taser on the Defendant. Turner then lied to the Deputy by claiming he was stuck in the mud, after which the Deputy entered the water to assist him out. Despite claiming that he would comply, Turner continued to resist arrest and pull away from the Deputy. Turner also prevented the Deputy from utilizing his radio to seek assistance and knocked the handcuffs from his hand into the water.

The Scioto County Deputy continued to abide by policy and utilized two strikes to the Defendant in an attempt to subdue him and gain control of the situation. Defendant Turner responded to this not by complying, but by making repeated attempts place the Deputy into a chokehold. Turner, who was approximately 6’3”, was eventually able to grab the 5’7” Deputy in a chokehold despite the Deputy’s best attempt to avoid it. At this point, the evidence at trial demonstrated that Turner choked the Deputy to a point of unconsciousness and forcibly submerged him under water. The Deputy was submerged with such force that he was forced to take several breaths underwater, resulting in him ingesting a large amount of stagnant water, dirt, debris, and scum. Additionally, the Deputy’s eyes, ears, nose, and throat were impacted with mud and debris which demonstrated that he was forced to the very bottom of the swamp. The Deputy, after summoning all of his remaining strength, was able to make it to a clearing just at the edge of the swamp. Fortunately, other officers and medical personnel arrived and quickly provided the necessary emergency aid for the Deputy, who was then transported to the SOMC emergency department. The medical evidence at trial revealed that the Deputy had injuries and symptoms which were consistent with what expert testimony described as a nonfatal drowning event.

At trial, the State of Ohio presented 14 witnesses over a four-day period. Testimony revealed that after the attempted murder and assault by Turner, a large manhunt took place in which numerous agencies and dozens of law enforcement officers arrived on scene to attempt to apprehend Turner. Additionally, canine and aviation units were sent to the scene to locate Turner, who remained concealed for a number of hours. Turner was eventually located in the early morning hours after he returned to the initial residence from which he fled. During his interview with Sheriff’s Office Detective and lead investigator Jodi Conkel, Turner tried to claim that he was the victim of an unprovoked assault by the Deputy and that he was the individual who almost drowned.

The State of Ohio’s case was presented by chief assistant and special victims prosecutor Julie Hutchinson along with assistant prosecutor Matthew Loesch. Defendant Turner was represented by local attorney Shawn Stratton. On behalf of the Scioto County Prosecutor’s Office, Shane Tieman thanks the Scioto County Sheriff’s Office, the Portsmouth Police Department, the Ohio State Highway Patrol, and all of the first responders who assisted in this matter.

“I could not be more proud of the brave men and women of our local law enforcement agencies” said Mr. Tieman. “At this time in which a number of agenda-driven people and organizations have attempted to demonize police officers around the country, I know that the good men and women of Scioto County know otherwise. This case perfectly demonstrates the dangers that police face everyday. Every call they respond to exposes them to danger and death. For those who would think about attempting to flee from and harm these brave men and women, I ask you look at the conviction and sentence in this case before you act.”