A 29-year-old Chillicothe man tragically lost his life in a single-vehicle crash on State Route 753 in Paint Township, Highland County, on Friday, February 9th, 2024.
- Occurred at approximately 8:40 AM near mile post 12.
- Involved a 2000 Toyota Camry driven by Gage A. Routte, who veered off the right side of the road.
- The vehicle overturned multiple times, ejecting Mr. Routte.
- Mr. Routte sustained fatal injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene.
- Authorities confirmed he was not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash.
Response and Investigation:
- The Ohio State Highway Patrol, Highland County Sheriff’s Office, Highland County Coroner’s Office, and Paint Creek Fire and EMS responded to the scene.
- The Wilmington Post of the Ohio State Highway Patrol is currently investigating the cause of the accident.
This incident serves as a stark reminder of the importance of wearing seatbelts. Seatbelts are the single most effective way to prevent death and serious injury in motor vehicle crashes. Please buckle up every time you get behind the wheel, regardless of the distance or your perceived risk.
Our thoughts and condolences are with the family and friends of Mr. Routte during this difficult time.