Home News Laundry fire quickly contained at Deer Creek Lodge

Laundry fire quickly contained at Deer Creek Lodge


Trish Bennett, Editor

MT. STERLING – Officials are citing spontaneous combustion as the probable cause of a laundry room fire early Monday morning at Deer Creek State Park Lodge.

Chief Dave Taylor, Tri-County Joint Fire District, said lodge guests were evacuated from the building as crews were dispatched about 4:46 a.m. Monday.

“There were two plastic buckets that had towels in them that caught fire in the laundry room,” Taylor said. “We’re assuming spontaneous combustion. We’re not sure if they came from the kitchen, or if the laundry had done them the day before and put them in a bucket, but there was no other source of ignition.”

Taylor said a maintenance worker at the lodge had already used a chemical to fight the flames by the time crews arrived on the scene, and the situation was contained by 5:11 a.m.

Fayette County EMS also responded to the scene as stand-by, he said.

Guests were allowed to return to their rooms once the situation was contained.

This article originally appeared on The Pickaway News Journal