That can include your minor who took the photo and sent it to someone else, and Circleville Police said its trending. The police department shared a post today about two kinds of crimes Sexting and Sextortion, and they say that the two work together.
Sexting: occurs when someone sends via text message or posts on the internet sexually charged messages or images, including nude or semi-nude pictures.
Sextortion: is a serious crime that occurs when someone threatens to distribute your private and sensitive material if you don’t provide them images of a sexual nature, sexual favors, or money.
Police say Sexting commonly turns into Sextortion
and police say you should do the following.
- Routinely check your child’s phone
- spend time online together with your children
- Keep the computer in a common area where you can watch and monitor its use.
- Check your credit card and phone bills for unfamiliar account charges.
- Take your child seriously if he or she reports an uncomfortable online exchange.
If you suspect your child is a victim or how to better protect your children contact Circleville Police Department, who has specialists that can handle these kinds of crime.