A public health alert has been issued by the Ohio Department of Agriculture for Yellowfin Tuna purchased from Kroger stores in Ohio.
Four cases of Scombroid poisoning were reported in Franklin and Montgomery counties which prompted the alert.
The three stores that the fish was purchased from are: 1365 Stoneridge Drive, Gahanna, 10101 Landing Way, Miamisburg, and 5400 Cornerstone N Boulevard, Centerville.
The fish was sold fresh with the label “Tuna Yellowfin Steak Fresh Wild Caught” with the sell date of 9/3/19 and 9/5/19.
The Department of Agriculture said there may be additional customers who bought the product, they are asking anyone who may have purchased the fish to discard them.
Scombroid fish poisoning, or histamine fish poisoning, is a syndrome resembling an allergic reaction that occurs after eating fish contaminated with high levels of histamine.
The symptoms may begin within two minutes to several hours after eating. The most common symptoms are tingling and burning sensations around the mouth, facial flushing, sweating, nausea, vomiting, headache, palpitations, dizziness, and rash.
Most people have mild symptoms that resolve within a few hours. In some cases, symptoms may last for several days.
Anyone exhibiting signs or symptoms of foodborne illness are encouraged to contact a physician immediately.
Consumers with questions about food safety can contact The Department of Agriculture’s Division of Food Safety at 614-728-6250.