Home News Pickaway County Sets Date for Ashville Assault Death of Stacey Garman

Pickaway County Sets Date for Ashville Assault Death of Stacey Garman

0
SHARE

ASHVILLE, Ohio — A man accused in a deadly altercation outside an Ashville home has pleaded not guilty and is scheduled to return to court in a Jury trial this April, currently the suspect is out on bond.

James Tackett, 52, faced charges of murder, voluntary manslaughter, and assault in connection with the September 10 death of 54-year-old Stacey Garman. According to Ashville police, the incident happened outside a residence on Long Street during an argument between the two men. Since then, two of those charges have been dropped due to the Grand Jury not having enough evidence to indict (formally charge) Tackett. Now, Tackett faces only Involuntary Manslaughter and Assault.

Investigators say witnesses told 911 dispatchers that Tackett punched Garman, causing him to fall and lose consciousness. Garman was transported to a hospital, where he later died from his injuries.

Court documents indicate Tackett initially told police that Garman had tripped and fallen. Authorities say he later changed his account during the investigation.

The case drew significant attention and frustration from Ashville residents and Garman’s family members, who questioned the length of time it took for charges to be filed. Ashville police previously stated that the delay was due to the need for a thorough investigation and emphasized that they did not believe the village was in danger during that time.

“We would like to thank the Pickaway County Sheriff’s Office and the Pickaway County Prosecutor’s Office for all their help with this case,” Ashville police said in a statement. “Both agencies have gone above and beyond to assist us so there wouldn’t be any questions about how the investigation was handled.”

During a court appearance in January, a judge continued Tackett’s bond and ordered strict pretrial conditions. Tackett must remain connected to a GPS electronic monitoring device at all times, is not permitted to leave the state of Ohio, must follow a court-ordered curfew, maintain employment, and comply with all supervision requirements through adult probation along with a 100,000 dollar bond.

The case now moves to a jury trial on 4/27/26