Twelve members of the Pickaway County Family YMCA’s Gymnastics team participated in the 2015 YMCA National Gymnastics Championships held in Wichita, Kansas, June 24-27. Several local gymnasts earned Top 10 placements or career high scores at the competition featuring 1,300 gymnasts from across the country.
“We could not be more proud of all the hard work and dedication these girls put into gymnastics year round,” said Beth Harlan, head coach of the Pickaway team. “We cannot wait to represent the Pickaway County Family YMCA and the YMCA of Central Ohio at the 2016 YMCA National Gymnastics Championships in Long Beach, California.”
The event began June 24 with an Olympic-style opening ceremony at Intrust Bank Arena with gymnasts marching into the arena carrying their state flags and team banners. The keynote speaker that evening was Wichita State Men’s Basketball Head Coach Gregg Marshall.
Competition began on June 25 at the Century II Performing Arts & Convention Center and ran three days.
Pickaway gymnasts competing the first day included:
- Level 8 Taylor Bonn (5th on Vault and 4th on Bars)
- Level 2 Lana Smith (Earned career high scores on Floor, Bars and All Around)
- Level 2 Jensen Koch (5th on Vault, 6th on Beam, 6th on Floor, 7th All Around)
- Level 4 Izabella Carroll (6th on Bars)
- Level Xcel Gold Shelby Ward (Career high score on Floor with a 9.2)
The remaining Pickaway gymnasts competed on June 26 and included:
- Level 5 Madilyn Nallie (Earned her personal best level 5 Bars score)
- Level 6 Sarah Smith (Personal best level 6 Floor score after coming back from 4 months off due to back and foot injuries)
- Level 6 Erica Dale (4th on Bars, 6th All Around and 3rd on Beam with a career high score of 9.6)
- Level 3 Lillian Schmidt (8th on Beam with a personal best score of 9.1)
- Level 3 Jaylyn Wippel (6th on Beam)
- Level 3 Kylie Wohnhas (3rd on Beam)
- Level 3 Caitie Ward (Personal best on Floor)
This article originally appeared on The Pickaway News Journal