Trish Bennett, Editor
CIRCLEVILLE – A man who suffered serious burns in an apartment fire at Apple Ridge last week has died, according to Chief Marc Zingarelli, Circleville Fire Department.
Frank Brookbank, 67, of 480 Lancaster Pike, apartment 66, passed away Nov. 13 at the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center in Columbus, one day after the fire in his apartment unit.
According to reports, Brookbank was asleep when the fire ignited in the sofa, and he suffered severe smoke inhalation and burns over 65 percent of his body. Brookbank was a smoker and was on home oxygen, both of which appeared to be contributing factors in the fire.
Brookbank was reportedly pulled from his burning apartment by a commercial painter on the property who saw smoke and went to investigate. He was treated by medics from Pickaway Township Fire Department as Circleville firefighters extinguished the flames.
Brookbank’s two cats also perished in the fire.
Tyrone Brown, a neighbor at the scene, said Brookbank was a disabled veteran and a good man who suffered a variety of ailments, one of which required oxygen treatments.
The Circleville Police Department also assisted at the scene.
None of the surrounding apartment units were damaged in the incident.
This article originally appeared on The Pickaway News Journal