Home News Jackson County Sheriff Arrests One After Pursuit

Jackson County Sheriff Arrests One After Pursuit


JACKSON – A Columbus man is in custody after he attempted to flee deputies just after midnight Sunday.

The Jackson County Sheriff Tedd Frazier’s Office is releasing details of a close call, where a deputy almost had to defend himself.

Roger L. Campbell, 40 of Mound St., Columbus, is now facing several felony charges related to the incident, as well as several more.
According to the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office incident report, on November 11, at 12:21 a.m. a Jackson County Sheriff Deputy made a traffic stop of a green Ford Ranger with a license plate obstruction. The deputy reports that the driver was acting suspicious, which led to a traffic stop in the Walmart parking lot.
Upon the stop, the deputy observed the driver moving around, with the passenger looking back at the patrol cruiser. The license plate returned fictitious. The deputy approached the driver, who first gave false identification, but was later identified as Roger L. Campbell, who had a suspended driver’s license. The passenger also had a suspended driver’s license.

While the deputy noticed that the driver continuously moving around in the vehicle, reaching toward the back left of the driver’s seat, he requested assistance from local law enforcement. After another deputy, as well as officers from the Jackson Police Department and troopers from the Ohio State Highway Patrol arrived, the deputy approached the vehicle and spoke with Campbell.

Campbell was asked if there was anything illegal in the vehicle, and he stated that maybe a marijuana roach. Campbell was then asked to exit the vehicle. Instead, Campbell put the truck in gear and tried to pull away. The passenger jumped out of the vehicle. When the engine stalled, the deputy opened the door and attempted to pull Campbell from the vehicle, however, was wearing his seatbelt. As the two struggled, Campbell was able to start the vehicle, driving off with the deputy holding on to him.
The deputy was able let go before losing his balance, returning to his vehicle in attempt to catch up to Campbell.

The passenger was taken into custody, where he was later questioned and released without being charged.

Jackson Police pursued Campbell and the deputy followed. According the report, Campbell sped through the Walmart parking lot, directly in front of the store’s entrance. Campbell exited the parking and traveled west onto McCarty Lane toward Main Street, failing to heed the traffic light, nor use his turn signal at McCarty Lane and Main Street. Campbell turned right onto Main Street, traveling north at 60 mph in a 40 mph speed zone, traveling left of the center line multiple times. Campbell lost control of the vehicle at State Route 32 and Main Street, but regained control and continued north on Main Street. Campbell again failed to use his turn signal as he made a left turn onto Ralph Street, traveling at a speed of 40 mph in a 25 mph speed zone. He then failed to stop at Ralph Street and Harris Street. Campbell failed to negotiate the left turn onto Harris Street, losing control of the vehicle, destroying the yard and a fence at 399 Ralph Street. Campbell regained control and continued south on Harris Street to Sellers Drive at Hope Haven School. Campbell continued past Hope Haven School to the dead end, continuing through the yard, causing damage. The pursuit continued through the yard, where Campbell struck a tree head on. He then exited and fled on foot. Authorities pursued Campbell on foot through the wood line, across State Route 32, into the wooded area on the other side of State Route 32, where he was apprehended.


Campbell was eventually medically cleared and incarcerated in the Jackson County Correctional Facility.

During the investigation, it was revealed that the Campbell had a loaded gun behind the driver’s seat as well as methamphetamine packaged for sale. The passenger informed the deputy that when he observed Campbell moving around in the vehicle, that it was because Campbell was attempting to retrieve the loaded handgun from behind the driver’s seat for when the deputy returned to the vehicle, however, it was stuck behind the plastic and he failed to retrieve it.

A search of the vehicle revealed a loaded, Taurus .380 handgun behind the driver’s seat door, a container containing baggies with what is believed to be crystal methamphetamine, a marijuana grinder and baggies used to package drugs for sale.
Campbell has been charged with Felony Fleeing or Eluding, Felony Obstruction, Felony Weapons Under Disability, and Felony Improper Handling of a Firearm in a Motor Vehicle. Charges of Drug Trafficking and Possession of a Schedule I drug are pending result of chemical testing.

Other possible charges are: Improper display of a license plate, Fictitious registration plate, Speed, Failure to stop at a red light, Failure to stop at a stop sign, Driving Under Suspension, Failure to Control and Criminal Damaging.

“We were very fortunate that no one was injured during this incident. We appreciate the assistance of the Jackson Police and the Ohio State Highway Patrol,” said Jackson County Sheriff Major Scott Conley. “This incident remains under investigation,” he added.